There are a lot of books that I think would work great as graphic novels. Books that are action oriented or set in places with beautiful fantasy landscapes, or that have the opportunity for really funny facial expressions would be great.
As I suspected, Twilight isn’t a book that works for me in graphic novel form. Let me start by saying Young Kim is awesome artist and I would enjoy other work by her, this is just the type of book that I personally enjoy in this format.
- You can’t BE Bella when looking at her, and I think many of fans of twilight wanted to be in her role for the story
- There isn’t enough action. Even though the panels of just Bella’s eyes or just Edward’s eyes, or even Jake’s eyes are stunning visually, they start to lose meaning when it seems like half of the book is just beautiful eyes
- The insight into a teen girl’s mind is missing, I liked Meyer’s words between dialogue that are gone
- I find men in manga to be to feminine, this is not exclusive to this work or this artist, I just find manga men way more girly than I like to picture men in books and I wanted to have attractive guys like Jamie in the Outlander graphic novel (with more clothes since it’s YA)
- I thought it was weird how much she sweat, it seemed like more than half the time a huge drip of sweat was on her face
- I liked the selective use of colour, with Edward’s eyes and the most vivid moments being the only source of colour. Except for when she was describing the vampires as pale, it was funny because everyone looked pale