As the Chair of the CLA Young Adult Book Award, I am proud to announce our finalists for books published in 2014. There were so many amazing books this year! Canada has some fantastic authors.
- The Art of Getting Stared At, by Laura Langston (Penguin Random House)
- The Death of Us, by Alice Kuipers (Harper Collins)
- The Gospel Truth, by Caroline Pignat (Red Deer Press)
- Moon at Nine, by Deborah Ellis (Pajama Press)
- Rabbit Ears, by Maggie DeVries (Harper Collins)
- This One Summer, by Mariko & Jillian Tamaki (Groundwood)
- Twisted, by Lisa Harrington (DCB)
- Unspeakable, by Caroline Pignat (Penguin Random House)
- The Voice Inside My Head, by S.J. Laidlaw (Tundra)
- What We Hide, by Marthe Jocelyn (Tundra)
Congratulations to all the authors and publishers who won us over with your fabulous books.
The official press release is on the CLA website.
Now that I’m caught up on my reading (well my “assigned” reading anyway…) and the shortlist has been announced I am free to blog. So you can expect reviews of those books that didn’t make the cut but caught my attention. My reviews are my personal opinion and not the CLA’s. Some really great works aren’t mentioned but deserve some attention. One of the great things of being on this jury is I get exposed to new books and have the opportunity to promote them. The shortlisted books will be reviewed once the winner has been announced.