I mentioned Wondrous Strange a few weeks ago when it was shortlisted for the 2010 Young Adult Book Award (to be presented at the CLA conference). Rather than review what I enjoyed about it I want to discuss what will appeal to teens and what opportunities it presents for librarians and teachers.
Teens will like
- The struggling artist main character
- The romance
- The action
- The mix of contemporary life and fantasy
- The struggle to deal with difficult parents and the fear of becoming like them
Librarians and teachers can use this book when they
- help a teen struggling with Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- help a teen who loves A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- have a teen asking about strong young female protagonists
- are looking for book about Fairies
Lesley Livingston has begun a series that will be sure to attract further attention and should be collected by libraries.