I highly recommend Gamer Girl by Mari Mancusi to teens and YA librarians. It is an enjoyable love story full of teen angst but also so much more.
It deals with serious issues that effect young adults:
- Divorce- the mixed feelings that you deal with when your parents split
- Bullying- the jerks who make high school unbearable at times
- Media Literacy-the dangers of online gaming and identity theft
- Breaking down stereotypes- don’t diss the geek girl but don’t diss the in crowd
- Loneliness-being isolated from your old friends, trying to make new ones
But it’s not an after-school special over the top cheesy way of shoving issues down teens’ throats, it’s fun to read and relatable.
You will enjoy this book if you like manga or online gaming